Monday, July 11, 2005

Obsession With Dessert




I am a lover of pie and cake. I sometimes throughout the day begin to envision myself in front of a smorgasboard of cake and pie. All types: cherry pie, apple pie, custard pie, chocolate cake, lemon cake, raspberry cake. I think I have an addiction to sweet things. I enjoy candy. I can eat some gummi bears and then turn around and chomp down on a Hershey's bar or a 100 Grand. I can eat dessert all day everyday. Of course I would run the risk of diabetes type II and hypertension but I think it would be worth the risk to down a few pumpkin pies on a regular basis, don't you agree? No, well I'm going to get me a strawberry tart and some hot chocolate and sit down and then for dinner, I may have a piece of lemon meringue pie and a side of oreo cookie cheesecake. I wonder how many calories come in these things, oh well, I am satisfied so that's what counts. I think if I got on an exercise routine I could prevent being as big as a house. It would give my heart and arteries some breathing room for me to unclog them with all of the sugar and booja booja in this stuff. I mean seriously, have you ever looked at the ingredients of stuff. Let me give you an example of a food I have that is chocked full of nutrition: now I appreciate Kellogg's Nurti-Grain bars, but I am not sure that they are as nutritious as they claim. Here is the list of ingredients: high fructose corn syrup, modified corn starch (why did it have to be modified, use regular corn starch), partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil, malic acid (known to erode teeth enamel), natural and artificial flavor (hmm, what exactly is that, where is the flavor from?), cellulose gel, mono and diglycerides, cellulose gum, leavening, wheat gluten, guar gum, zinc oxide, red#40 (I always enjoy foods with coloring, there are so many numbers to this stuff, that occasionally it seems like they just pick one), reduced iron, folic acid, dextrose...and the list goes on. Now I'm no expert but I don't think cellulose is a wonderful additive to the body, nor anything partially hydrogenated. There are many many other foods sitting on my shelf that could use some examining as to whether they need to be in my body. I'm hungry, I think I'll go have some vanilla bean cheesecake for lunch and then afterwards, have a slice of sweet potato pie. Mmm, yummy, yummy I got dessert in my tummy, but what is it doing to my tummy, is the real question?

Life has many parts, they are gooey and yummy, sweet and delicious, but what are the ingredients in them that are making them this way?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home