Saturday, January 28, 2006

Internet Relationships: The New Fad?

I have never seen such foolishness. I have talked to several people and gotten their opinions on dating and relationships. They all seem to have the same opinion - both suck, partly because we as human beings look to our dates to be perfect. We look for perfection. The mate has to have a sense of humor, look good, talk good, have an education, perform off da hook between the sheets and the list goes on. The brothas talk about how there ain't no sistas willing to give them a chance because of the other brothas who have hurt them in the past and the sistas say there ain't no good man they can find. I asked myself, why are relationships so hard? The answer is simple. Everyone has an expectation and when that expectation is not met, they lose interest, or tire from wanting to deal with the date or the relationship. Over the past few years, I have noticed that relationships are difficult - they take work and time and not many people my age or any age for that matter are willing to make the effort to deal. We say we are ready to have a relationship but that's not true. I was talking to a good friend of mine and she said that she despises dating partly because it's too hard to do. "I can't find the right one," she says. I have been told over the years, that the right woman would come along as if she would just fall on my doorstep and ring the doorbell. But like anything in life - you have to go after it. So I sincerely doubt that the perfect woman will drop on my doorstep. And then there's my cousin, who says that dating is pointless. But how can you get to know the person intimately without dating them? Isn't that impossible?, I asked him. Yes, he answered. You'd think that relationships would be easy but nope - they are extremely difficult. It makes it even more difficult for those of us who have dated someone who liked us more than we liked them or vice versa. That is nothing but a volcano awaiting to erupt. Dating is so hard that people have turned to the Internet to pursue their desired mate. They select their preferences and voila - a bunch of folks just like themselves who've had some dating dilemmas, right there for them to pick and choose like they are fruit in a grocery store. Is e-love the new fad? Is that why so many relationships that come from the Internet work? I was reading Jet magazine, the one with Mary J Blige on the cover, and it said that relationships over the Internet work for some and not others. People feel like they are getting their expectations met. I've never dated anyone who I've met over the Internet, but I wonder if I'll ever be so frustrated with non-e dating that I'll log on and read some e-personals. Somehow I don't see myself doing that but never say never. For now I'll just be single - w/o a relationship and perhaps I'll take a break from dating for awhile.

Life has many parts -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home