Sunday, December 11, 2005

You Can Become A Hero If You Die

Wow, Richard Pryor died. That is unfortunate. All death is unfortunate. I always enjoyed Richard Pryor's comedy. He kept it real. I remember when my father first played me a tape of "Mudbone - Little Feets," which was one of Pryor's signature jokes about a voodoo woman who cast a spell on his friend's feet. That joke is hilarious. If you ever get a chance to hear it, I suggest you do. Pryor did a lot for Black comedy and set the stage for many comedians. It's funny though - suddenly, everyone wants to talk about Richard Pryor now that he is dead, but no one talked too much about him when he was alive. That is what we as a world do. We deem people heroes and icons after they die. That's pretty pathetic and sad. We do not remember people until after they are gone. Martin Luther King & Malcolm X are perfect examples as is Rosa Parks. I find it shockingly nauseating that so many people flocked to Rosa's funeral, yet people found her actions unnecessary. Even our President said she was heroic. He almost seemed sincere. Note: I said almost. If he loves Black folk so much, what happened when Katrina hit? Where was the gubment then? But that's a story for another time. But Pryor was what MSN calls "the Black Lenny Bruce." I am not too familiar with Lenny Bruce's comedy, but I've heard he was pretty riotous in his day as was Pryor. Rest in Peace - Richard Pryor - another deceased hero.

Life has many parts, I am not too familiar with some.