Wednesday, November 23, 2005

What Do I Have To Be Sad About?

Okay. So there are approximately 3 weeks left of the semester. 3 weeks left of my undergraduate career. Wow, it’s come down to me packing up and heading out. Leaving behind what is not needed and starting anew. My grandmother told me that I should feel sad – ha – that’s a croc. Sad about what? Sad about doing something that most Black men don’t accomplish in less than 4 years? Sad about doing something that others could have done, but didn’t? Sad about getting my GPA to where it needed to be for graduate school and post-graduate careers? I am not sad. In fact, far from it. I am exultant. Exultant over the fact that I have the opportunity to graduate early and with honors. You could say I’m bragging here – and……………………. I am. You’d be doing the same thing, if you were in my shoes. I am blessed to be graduating early, blessed to be moving on to bigger and better things. Things that are not niggling and inimical. I told my grandmother that the last final cannot get here soon enough, and it has almost arrived. She told me that early next year I’ll probably be wishing I had stayed. I laughed at the thought, partly because it would serve no purpose and would be rather moronic of me to spend money on courses that I could take at a community college. That’s a little bitter, I know, but when you deal with an HBCU administration – you get back to me, O.K. I’m actually a little somber though because I am leaving familiar ground. I have grown accustomed to the campus and how it operates and being around people of my kind (that would be NEGROES, for all of you wondering), and now I have to get out there and pull up my sleeve and tackle the real world. Hmm, I don’t know about that – I wish I could turn back time and go through 16 years of school all over again. Yep – 16 years: 6 yrs of elementary, 2 years of junior high, 4 yrs of high school, 4 yrs of college. I am surprised I haven’t cracked by now or been blown away. I mean that figuratively not literally. But, right now I’m looking forward to this long break that is definitely needed.