Friday, December 09, 2005

Swept Away

There is a song by Yanni called Swept Away, and it is one of those songs you listen to when you first get hooked on new age music or when you need to go to sleep. I for one have never been too much of a fan of new age music, but there are a few songs that catch my attention. I got to thinking about being swept away. Swept away from the usual typicalities (if that's a word) of life and finding out how to make it without. It's funny how when you lose things or when things leave that you learn to stick it out and you realize there is a significance between wants and needs. I have realized that there are certain things that I've wanted, but this last semester of college has taught me that I can make it on bare essentials. This semester I found that the only true friend (and as you know I don't use that word) I have is God and that HE would not have swept away certain things if HE wasn't taking me to something better. I say things because that is what wants are: things. The only things we really need in this life are food, clothing and shelter and even the last one many people make it without it. There is nothing like a dry place experience for one to realize what truly matters in this life. If one knew what kind of rubbish that I've had to deal with this semester, you would lift up your eyes and/or gasp. But I'm not here to ask for a pity party. I am on my way to something wonderful and I am just glad God swept away those things that did not need to be apart of my life. It is very fascinating how God's ways are not our ways. There are some things that I've gone through this semester that I would never have thought could have happened to me. When you go through some things in life, and I'm not just talking about this semester, you become resilient and stronger despite what happens during the storm. Like I heard in a sermon, storms come to show you what is built to last. I'm gonna go listen to Swept Away and do some packing.

Life has many parts, you gotta sweep some away often times.