Friday, September 02, 2005

What Is Going On Is Making Me Wanna Holler Part One

In the aftermath of the cataclysmic tragedy known as Hurricane Katrina, there has been speculation as to how the federal government handled the abysmal situation. For the past few days, I have been observing the mouth dropping coverage on CNN. It would appear that the response to this has been nothing but a joke. Why did it take the government so long to respond to something that happened within the world when two days after the tsunami, America responded with boldness, yet this tragedy was on American soil. The Congressional Black Caucus believes that the delaying tactics by the government to provide nourishment to the dying and struggling citizens of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama have been because of race. I agree. If New Orleans was not a predominately African American town, then the response would have been as fast as Brink Security responds to the burglars who are trying to break in. I saw this more clearly in the expressions and the callous and blurred answers many of the government officials were giving when being interviewed by CNN newscasters and the response by the mayor of Louisiana. Even in 2005, we are dealing with racism and you’d think that the worst tragedy in American history would put a hold on the racism; it has just strengthened the ignorance of people and pulled the curtain back on how far we have come from the days of discrimination and segregation – not much. No one would let Billy, Joe or Suzy marinate in their feces but it is okay for Hakeem, Precious and Tiffany to die of exhaustion and malnutrition. That sounds kind of racist I know, but that is what has been presented to the human eye. So, now today they deployed food and water to the citizens still remaining in Louisiana….it’s about time. Took them long enough and no one seems to fathom the consequences of waiting to distribute nourishment to the people. They are focusing on the looting and the shooting and the rapes and bedlam, but they need to be focusing on getting those people out of that state ASAP. Just like our country – to focus on the wrong thing – even in the midst of tragedy. And then they are talking about starting the draft because they might need to bring the troops in Iraq back to Louisiana. So now I have to stop attending Computers & Society and Humanities to lay my life on the line for a racist country and a government that showed itself once again in the response to this event. I am not interested in wearing army fatigues to fight in a war for $$$. I donated $25 to the Red Cross because my heart was starting to break when I was watching the elderly people and the children being without formula and diapers. I might donate some more because I would want someone to do that for me if I had to deal with this pandemonium. I am not done here; but I need to give my eyes a break from this computer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home