Thursday, September 08, 2005

As The Age Turns

I am officially 21 years old today. It doesn’t feel any different, except for the fact that I am now legal and am officially an adult in the eyes of 5-0. My day began with me pressing the snooze button a few times, missing class and then proceeding to pick up my car from a family friend’s house. Afterwards, I drank two Lipton raspberry teas and proceeded to attend one of my classes. I just kind of drove around the district hoping to feel different about being older, but I didn’t. I ended up spending about $45 at Whole Foods today buying all sorts of healthy foods. You know a brotha’s tryin 2 live healthy these days since African Americans are prone to diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol issues. I am learning to love Silk and am damn proud of the fact that I can purchase mostly everything from Whole Foods – almost everything. I came back and sat in my room watching television and listening to many, many messages from friends and family wishing me a happy birthday. I laughed of course, when my aunt proceeded to sing Happy Birthday into the phone and told me “she couldn’t resist.” Gotta love family. My evening consisted of the following: I received a call from my friend, Chev, at around 7:30 and we stood outside of the Towers waiting for Claudia and then she finally came out at about 8:00. No I’m kidding, it was about 7:35ish. Then we went to Chinatown and found a nice spot in front of one of those pleasant restaurants on the corner; only to discover that you couldn’t park in that spot between the hours of 6:30 PM and 11:59PM. 11:59 – that was a first, usually it’s 12. A beggar yelled at us from across the street and told us to come get the spot over there so Chev proceeded to park his car in that spot. The beggar then put the quarters in there for him. Claudia knew right away that he was looking for money but he didn’t ask. We then walked to Haagen Daaz – I hope that’s spelled right for copyright sake. A Bailey’s Shake did the trick for me and dented my wallet seis dollares y cincuenta y nueva centes. On the way there, another random man interrupted us and told Chev that he ought to ask Claudia’s hand in matrimony, not marriage, but matrimony. What is this the 1920s? We’s not in Cotton Club or jump jivin and wailin now is we? And then he told Chev & I that we “are the two sons he never had by the third wife he never married.” Funny stuff – of course, he only wanted mula. As we walked into the movie theater, we suddenly felt the sleepy drowsy feeling that most Black folk get after they eat known as the itis. We did watch the movie, which wasn’t half bad with its headbutts and pen in throat commotion. I give it a 7 & ½. It’s not the gook and gore Craven is known for but it was somewhat enthralling. After the movie, Chev dropped Claudia and I off and I proceeded back into the Towers to listen to more messages from family and friends. I just finished pouring some Orange Kiwi Passion Juice and I am smiling knowing that I lived another year and my life is still turning and still having more bittersweet and memorable parts. With that said, I’ve got 2 minutes to publish this blog before my birthday is over, so peace be with you – reader.

Life has many parts, I haven’t wrote this in awhile. It feels pretty good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home