Thursday, March 03, 2005

Why Do We Remember Things Like This? (Part Two A)

I was listening to my rap playlist on my IPOD and Luke's "It's Your Birthday," came on and some memories started to come to the front of my mind. Memories of summer camp. I used to go to Grace Methodist Church summer camp and the Page Park YMCA too. Both in STL. I suddenly remembered the good times I had at Grace Methodist with all of those people. Those were some of the best summers of my life with the exception of the summer before I attended college...THAT WAS A GOOD SUMMER. Well, a bunch of people who I still keep in touch with from there came to mind like this girl named LaKisha, who used to call me a little boy only I was the same age as her. I remembered my camp counselors, Mr. Elsesser and Mrs. Broussard, who wore African get-ups and all of this faux jewelry. She was actually pretty cool cause she used to get mad at us for wanting to play the BOX on the tv. The Box was the stuff, don't act like you don't remember what it is; you aren't that old. I once called the Box and ran up my grandmother's phone bill. I ended up paying her back and she forgave me. Grammas are cool like dat (in reference to Digable Planet's "Rebirth of Slick).
So that playlist just reminded me of the good times I had during summer camps. Another song came on and I was reminded of the Page Park YMCA, which is in what one would deem the ghetto part of St.Louis; but those kids there were fun to hang around. My counselor there was a dude from Cali, who I remember did not wear deodorant and the other counselors used to talk about. There was this kid, Willie, who my cousin used to make fun of because of his southern accent. All of the kids used to call him Free Willy. "Free Willy,Free Willy," those were fun times. And then there was this kid named Eddie who always used to follow his sentences with the words "get down to the Nitty Gritty." For example, I would ask him, "Eddie, what time is it?" and he would respond, "almost time to get down to the Nitty Gritty." Man I wish I could go back there but I am too old for summer camp. Damn this age thing. I wanna be a Toys R US kid again where I can shop for the new GI Joe, although, my cousin disfigured the very first one I bought and buried it in my grandmother's backyard. Yep, it's still there after 9 years. I want to receive Toys R US bucks for Xmas again (or as they are more promptly called Geoffrey Dollars). What I wouldn't give to be a kid again? I quickly stopped the playlist because I started to get mad and ended up turning on the radio to WHUR, which is a blissful radio station, but no one my age listens to it because they can't get into the format. I mean I bet you have never heard of Ledisi or Hill St.Soul, have you? Didn't think so. Damn, I really love music. That is one of my facebook groups, but I had to say it.

Life has many parts, maybe I'll learn tap dancing like Savion Glover and tap some of mine away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home