Monday, February 28, 2005

Black History Blog

Since it's the last day of Black History month, I thought about writing about history but you can read that in a book so instead I am going to take this opportunity to talk about my people.

1) Black people are self-hating. We are our own worst enemy and because of this we cannot move up in the world. There will be no Jefferson lifestyle for most of us because our fellow brothers and sisters are holding us back with this why him/her mentality. It is a tragic state of affairs when we as a people cannot get along because someone is making it and you aren't. What is that about? Be happy that your brothas and sistas are making it because the white man has done enough for us to have a hard time, I don't need a Black person holding me back as well.

2) Black people are just as racist as others. You know I am right about this one. We sit and talk about other races just like they sit and talk about us. Why is that? Isn't there anything else we can do so we don't stoop to the level of others? Read a book, clean your room, travel the world, go to a museum. There are so many other ways to spend your time than talking about people. I think that by me being at an African American university, that I probably will embrace white folks and latinos much more once I leave here because I have seen many sides of Black people that I don't really care for.

3) The Look Me In The Face And Not Say Nothing Mentality. It is amazing to me how Black people continue to look each other in the eye and not say anything. Are my pupils that fun to look at? Are my waves good enough for you? Do I have something on jacket or sweater that attracts you? A simple hello or nod would do just fine. Otherwise, do not look at me. Look at the grass or the sidewalk concrete. I shake my head because it's 2005 and Black people still do this. I said yo and hello my freshman and sophomore year so much and did not get a response that I have stopped. I am 20 going on 21, people need to grow up.

4) The Something For Nothing Mufuckas. These are the groups of Black folks who think they are going to get somewhere in life and have GPAs that are laughable. How can you really think you are going to be successful and you have a GPA of 2.3? C's, D's and F's don't get you anywhere but putting lettuce on a burger or washing a car. Maybe 7-Eleven will hire you. Yes, experience does count but grades do matter. Stop just getting by. You aren't paying all this money or rather your parents aren't paying all this money for you to sit on your ass all day and do just enough to get a C.

5) The Self Proclaimed Nigga. These are the people who think they are Black and no one else is. They feed off the assumption that all Blacks are ghetto, niggerish and BLACK. Black is a color, not an attitude or personality and the sooner one realizes that we are all in the same boat just like the people in the Middle Passage, the better off they will be. Ghetto is not something to try and attain. Ibonics is not a language you should try to learn like Spanish.

6) Non-Rappers trying to be rappers. I have one thing to say to this and this is not hating so don't even think I am hating. If you were a good rapper you would not be in college; you'd have a record deal with a record company plain and simple. Granted you have to make moves and all, and we all have dreams but focus on your education not trying to make the next "Candy Shop."

Remember, life has many parts. It's just up to you to figure out which ones you want to sweep under the rug/carpet. I'm getting better at these wouldn't you say?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home