Friday, August 22, 2008

Every Rose Has Its Thorn vs Everlong, The Former Gets My Vote

I am a Sirius Radio subscriber. I purchased that lifetime membership so I would always have satellite radio to listen to. This was before the whole SiriusXM merger. Commercialized radio stations always seemed to play the same songs every hour on the hour. I learned from my radio professor at Howard that all radio stations have basically adopted the less is more policy. Essentially, they can play the same 30 songs within 24 hours just in a different order. I mean sure there are a few oldies sprinkled here and there but for the most part unless you tune to a classic rock station or a soft rock station, most stations play the same ole same ole. 

I have found two stations that I really like on Sirius. Classic Vinyl and Classic Rewind. Having always been a rock fan, I particularly became fascinated with it back when Los Angeles had 93.1 the Arrow. Of course now, it has become a clone of all of the Jack stations across the country that play hodgepodges of rock songs from the 70s to today. But the Arrow was different, there was not any recycling(or very little). If I heard Whitesnake's "Is This Love" today then I probably wouldn't hear it until two or three weeks from now, not tomorrow.

Classic Vinyl plays classic rock of the 60s and 70s while Classic Rewind plays 70s and 80s rock. I can hear Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" and Canned Heat's "On The Road Again" on one station, while listening to Bryan Adams "Somebody" and Genesis' "In Too Deep" on another. I personally think rock music is addicting. Most rock songs are sing-a-longs and others simply speak to what you are thinking as if they can read your mind. 

I like today's rock but it seems too simplistic. I'd rather listen to Poison than Foo Fighters any day. So Classic Vinyl and Rewind will stay on my presets for a long time to come. I thought about adding Hair Nation too. That station is a little bit too heavy metal classic rock for my taste however. But I do like Kiss and Tesla, so I might just have to put it @ #3 on my Sirius radio presets the next time I power on the satellite radio receiver.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home